Battlegrounds: RPG Edition (aka BRPG) is virtual tabletop software that provides you with all the tools you need to conduct a role-playing game session: a battlemap - with an optional hexgrid or square grid - on which to place and move your digital miniatures and props, a virtual dice roller with both standard and polyhedral dice, text chat functions that support "in-character" and "out-of-character" dialogue, private and group messages, and a Fog-of-War feature that lets you gradually reveal the game map as the players explore (taking into account light sources and any special vision your characters may have).
BRPG can be played online with up to 15 players plus the Game Master. It can also be used offline, with a projector or TV, to enhance face-to-face game sessions. Battlegrounds is easy to use, cross-platform, and supports game play in any genre and with any RPG system. It can also be used for playing boardgames, wargames, card games, and dice games. Creating your own digital game conversions is not hard, and BRPG never requires XML editing or scripting of any sort. All customization is done by editing plain text files or by filling out a step-by-step Wizard.
Battlegrounds supports full-screen maps, high-resolution tokens, card decks, custom dice, audio, and animation. It features a user interface that hides away when you don’t need it, to avoid on-screen clutter and heighten the immersion factor. Many free artpacks are available for download, and commercial artpacks are available to further enhance your games.
- Pentium III or equivalent
Macintosh OS X:
- Power Macintosh G3 running OS 10.1.5 or better (except Lion, see below)
- Rosetta must be installed on Intel-based Macs (note that in OS 10.6, aka Snow Leopard, the option to install Rosetta is off by default)
- Rosetta is not available in OS 10.7 (aka Lion) or in OS 10.8 (Mountain Lion), so BRPG will not run on those OSes
- RAM: 256 MB
- Hard drive space: 150 MB
- Display: 24-bit color
- Resolution: 1024 x 768
- Internet connection: 56K
- Network card required for LAN-based games
- Processor: 800 MHz or higher
- RAM: 512 MB or better
- Display: 32-bit color
- Hard drive space: 200 MB, plus however much you wish to allocate to extra maps, artwork, and sound files to expand your games (1 or 2 GB is not uncommon)
- Internet connection: DSL or Cable broadband strongly recommended, especially for the GM*